Results of GRI Board of Directors and Stakeholder Council Elections
03 November 2010

​In October 2010, GRI held the Board of Directors (BOD) and the Stakeholder Council (SC) member elections. The members voted into place for each of these governance bodies will serve their terms for a period of three years from 2011 to 2013.

​APPOINTMENTS TO THE GRI BOARD (2011-2013)

Based on the recommendations of the GRI nominating committee, the Stakeholder Council appointed and re-appointed the following Board members on 1 October, 2010:
 Reappointments (2011-2013)
• Mulder, Herman – Business, The Netherlands
• Elkington, John - Mediating Institutions, United Kingdom
• Esdon, Denise - Mediating Institutions, Canada
• Wong, Peter - Mediating Institutions, Hong Kong
 
New Appointments (2011-2013)
 
• Normark, Anita - Labor (International), Switzerland
• Waack, Roberto - Civil Society Organizations, Brazil
• Hastings, Michael - Mediating Institutions, United Kingdom
 
Their terms begin on 1 January 2011. Congratulations to these members on their appointments and re-appointments.
 
Three Board members: John Evans - Labor (International), Kumi Naidoo - Civil Society (Africa) and Ricardo Young Silva - Civil Society (Latin America/Caribbean), will be stepping down from the GRI Board at the end of this year. GRI thanks these members for their valuable input and commitment over the past three years. 
 

STAKEHOLDER COUNCIL ELECTIONS

The 2010 GRI Stakeholder Council election process started with nominations on 15 May. This year the SC received a record number of 81 nominations for 19 vacancies in the Business, Civil Society and Mediating Institutions constituencies. These nominations were from all five GRI geographic regions (Africa, Asia Pacific/Oceania, Latin America/Caribbean, North America/Europe/CIS, and West Asia). All candidates were highly suitable, making this a hotly contested election.

The elections happened in two phases. In Phase 1, GRI’s Organizational Stakeholders voted to fill 60 percent of the vacancies, and the sitting Stakeholder Council members appointed the remaining 40 percent during their annual meeting.

The annual GRI Stakeholder Council meeting was held on 30 September and 1 October 2010, and was hosted by Rabobank, Amsterdam. During this meeting, the SC voted to appoint and reappoint SC members for a three-year term, 2011 to 2013. Their terms begin on 1 January 2011.
Below is a list of the new members of the SC. For your information, we have only listed the names of the ten (10) new members elected to the SC for their first 3 year term from 2011 to 2013.  For the complete list of the 19 elected and re-elected SC members, please follow this link.
Business Constituency

• Arora, Seema - CII ITC Centre of Excellence for Sustainable Development, India
• Bing, Hua - Industrial Bank Co. Ltd., China
• Blesener, Susan - Novo Nordisk, Denmark

Civil Society Organizations Constituency

• Ndamba, Rodney - Centre for Environmental Accountability and Transparency (CENAC), Zimbabwe
• Poulter, Julian - The Global Asset Owners Disclosure Project & The Climate Institute, Australia
• Royo, Teresa – ECODES, Spain
• Setubal, Maria Alice – Fundacao Tide Setubal, Brazil

Mediating Institutions Constituency

• Kumar, Neha – GTZ, India
• Peiyuan, Guo – Syntao, China
• Reyes Iturbide, Jorge - Instituto de Desarrollo Empresarial Anáhuac (IDEARSE) - Universidad Anahuac, Mexico

Congratulations to these newly appointed members. GRI looks forward to their contribution to the GRI network.

GRI would also like to thank all the members who will be stepping down at the end of this year. Their long and dedicated service to the network is very much appreciated and we hope they will continue their involvement with GRI.